Saturday, August 22, 2009

Blog Post #3 Media Literacy

Media Literacy are two words that many people have different ideas about what they mean. This video below, in my opinion, explains it very well.



Every year when I am introduced to a new group of students I am more and more amazed at their literacy in media and technology. It has become evident that as the years go by, my incoming students are going to know more than the previous group of students. As the skills increase for my kids, so must my own. I find it my duty to not only be aware of the new tools available but also to use them to create, manipulate and play around with them as well.

However, understanding what tools are available and how to use them are not the only component of media literacy. We must also teach our children to critically choose the media that they are accepting and using. It's important that they are well versed as the world around them continually changes.

No comments: