Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Blog Post #5 Communities of Practice

There are days when I truly wonder what people (I!) did before the internet became this powerful tool. I can spend hours a day browsing the different resources available to me and many times during the summer months I literally WILL spend that much time doing it. I love to visit sites such as A to Z teachers and join in discussions with other teachers on the forum board about best practices in the classroom or just offering some words of encouragement to perhaps another teacher who is having a difficult time.

My favorite part is being able to find other classrooms to do projects with. For example, if it wasn't for the internet and being able to connect with other classrooms I would never be able to do the Postcard Exchange that I have been arranging for the past couple of years. (http://www.msjensenclass.com/Teacher_Resources/postcardexchange.htm) And this year, I'm collaborating with another class on Monster Exchange (http://www.monsterexchange.org) to help improve my students descriptive writing. Plus websites such as Teachertube.com have allowed me to find videos on concepts made by other teachers to show my own students. Sometimes it's nice to give kids another teacher's perspective on how to solve that tricky math problem.

Many teachers will often agree that teaching can be a lonely profession. You are in a classroom for hours everyday with children and when school is out, you are still isolated due to grading papers, changing out bulletin boards or making phone calls home. There is very little time to communicate with your fellow co-workers. I love the networking opportunities online because it allows me to find like-minded teachers to talk with. I have been inspired and motivated every year by finding these people!

No comments: