Saturday, August 22, 2009

Blog Post #4 21st Century Skills & Lifelong Learning

Teaching our children 21st century skills is a momentous task that teachers are faced with everyday. What are 21st century skills exactly though? Ask a handful of teachers and you may get a variety of responses. The video below is just one teacher’s ideas of what this truly means.



I believe that teaching kids 21st century skills means preparing them for whatever changes the future holds. The future will have many changes, improvements and tools that we can’t even begin to think of yet. People need to learn to embrace the change and be willing and capable of adapting with these changes.

In my own classroom, many times I will introduce a new program or tool and instead of showing my kids how to use it, I encourage them to explore it. I have self-taught myself many things including web design. While a class would have been helpful, I believe I have prepared myself to over come barriers that I wouldn’t have otherwise. Self-teaching has made me utilize the internet more to look for answers when I’m stumped or to look up ways to improve my website once I feel I am ready for the next step. I try to instill in my kids that same self-motivation.

No comments: