Saturday, August 22, 2009

Blog Post #5 Social Media

I was out eating dinner the other night with my boyfriend and a couple good friends and the subject of social media and networking came up. We marveled over the fact that many people of all ages are beginning to embrace this developing form of communication. For example, my mother who resides in Phoenix and is in her mid-sixties recently joined Facebook to keep in contact with her friends and family (including me) who are located all over the country. While there was a bit of a learning curve, she has eventually mastered the basics of Facebook and loves it. My friend, who recently turned fifty, joined Facebook as well. His reasons were to promote his musical work within his social network of friends and of course…their friends.

What does this tell us? Well for one, it points out the fact that social network are not just for the young kids these days. It also points out that sites such as Facebook and Myspace are no longer about just “communicating” with your current circle of friends but actually networking with a larger group. I, myself, have two Facebook accounts. One is for my personal life – I have connected with good friends, family and acquaintances who over the years we have lost touch. My other account is to network with other teachers and for my Masters program. Both serve their purpose – to allow me to communicate wherever and whenever the need or feel arises.

Below is a cute video on unrequited love via social media.

No comments: