Sunday, August 30, 2009

Webpost #7 Second Life

I first tried Second Life (SL) about four years ago. I've always been a big gamer and thought that Second Life would appeal to that side of me. It did....for about two days. I found certain places to be interesting but the whole prospect of it bored me. I ended up stopping after just a couple days.

When I read that we were going to do be exploring SL more and more in my Masters program, I was NOT excited. I grudgingly set-up a new account and paid very little attention to my appearance in SL. While doing a group project in SL, I did start to become a little excited about the prospect of using it in the classroom. Being able to show my students places such as the State of Liberty or the Wall which shows the names of soldiers who died to be an exciting idea. However, the research it takes to find these places is a huge drawback for me.

I think one of my main reasons I disregard SL is because of time. Between work (I'm at school from 7a-6p, Monday - Friday), trying to complete my Masters and having a bit of an outside life with boyfriend I don't have the patience or energy to actually explore SL. Despite my reluctance, I have found a couple neat things in SL. I found a Space Park, Mt. Rushmore and the State of Liberty. I was even more excited about these finds when I discovered a classmate actually used that in his webquest.

Perhaps there is more to SL than meets MY eye.....and maybe one, fine, boring day I'll take the time to explore this possible classroom resource.

Watching movies like this (caution it does have some subjectional language in it) help me find the humor in SL. It also makes me wonder how they filmed some of the parts.

No comments: